The theory of a free press is that truth will emerge from free discussion, not that it will be presented perfectly and instantly in any one account.
– Walter Lippman
The foundation of all mental illness is the unwillingness to experience legitimate suffering.
– Carl Jung
The ultimate result of shielding man from the effects of folly is to people the world with fools.
– Herbert Spencer
That there are men in all countries who get their living by war, and by keeping up the quarrels of nations, is as shocking as it is true; but when those who are concerned in the government of a country, make it their study to sow discord, and cultivate prejudices between nations, it becomes the more unpardonable.
– Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", circa 1792
SELF developed from a study group founded by Amon Hotep in the island of Trinidad and Tobago.
In an effort to address the absence of worldly discussions and African History in our school curriculum and local media, we made appeals through the local media for space for a proper presentation of World History.
(Read: Why 'Dialogue' was taken off the Radio)
The absence of this wider body of information is the reason most prejudices remain and affect development in our country and, by extension, the world at large.
We are developing alternative media outlets for more informed non-commercial expressions while we appeal for our state media to allow more diverse cultural expressions.
We cannot learn from our differences if our historical, intellectual and developmental differences are not allowed public exposure.
In an era where media is largely seen as tools for commercial enterprises and are most times manipulated by business conglomerates and politicians, the role of media owned and controlled by ordinary people becomes critical to a free, open, and informed society.
Freedom of cultural expression is a human right.
We are funded exclusively by our members and supporters - no corporate money. We have stated our values, aims and objectives so there are no hidden agendas. We operate with a small staff and a network of volunteers.
- SELF provides media space for individuals and groups that have been denied their right to publicly express their cultural viewpoints even if we sometimes disagree with their views.
- SELF is committed to presenting researched Internet, radio and television - programs that engage creative risks, advance issues, and represent relevant points of view not usually seen on commercial or public television.
- SELF seeks to create and promote independent media that will expand civic participation by bringing new voices and expressions into the public discourse.
- SELF does not directly oversee the conduct of its members. Members are encouraged to take responsibility for their own conduct, and to be outspoken. Here the 'shepherd and flock' mentality is discouraged. We encourage all to be shepherds.
- SELF incorporates values from all indigenous African expressions, and supports the development of these various disciplines.
Previous Page | Trinicenter.com | Homepage